Monday, June 23, 2008

The server thing

AT&T DSL with Static IP addresses start at $55 a month ($20 above my $34, and that's slower than mine).

I can do the server, including battery backup for Portland's famous 10 second power outtages (I'll give the town credit, they only last 10 seconds because the city has a generator, Consumer's is who gos out.) for only $512. Not too bad, I think this link will work:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9947448

Mail records would only be $5 a year or so, I think...

still not sleeping...

2 comments:

Sopor said...

I've decided that I won't spend time building a server until I have good reason to. Meaning there are a few steps I would like to complete first:

1. Obtain EEE PC (what's the point of a server if you don't have a few PCs on the network that need to share resources, right?)

2. Learn Linux (and Wine) well enough to run IE in Ubuntu, and generally stop using XP for any networking based task. Eventually uninstall network drivers...

After that a true web-facing server will be a fun learning experience.

Sopor said...

Ok, after spotting some prime homebrew gear on Ebay, this "project" codenamed SHAIR has been SERIOUSLY downsized...

The server would've been badass, fun, time consuming, and expensive.

I next was checking out consumer NAS or even just external hard drives, in the TB range. Still too expensive.

I settled on a 16GB OCZ Thumb Drive. Almost 2 full Dual Layer DVDs worth of capacity! That should help out my ability to share, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg!